Tuesday, June 8, 2010

US Airport Shopping

A good definition of travel might be "leaving home to realize all those things you take for granted."

Like a blow dryer, hairbrush, toothbrush, and concealer (my skin is acting up, perhaps thanks to that department spa party). And bugspray. My beloved husband poo-pooed my earlier suggestions to look into malaria drugs for our trip, but on the plane we learned more about Nigeria: built on swamps and lagoons exactly 26 feet above sea level with mostly dreadful sanitation and intfrastructure. A mosquito's eco-niche come true.

We quickly learned that you can buy nearly anything in an airport. Except insect repellent. I finally went into the Body Shop on the off chance they'd have concealer and anything resembling bug spray. A very matter-of-fact young woman whisked me down the aisle to her own favorite concealer section (I think she lied about ever having come near a zit - she had that translucent skin a woman automatically hates people for having). She whipped out a tiny brush from her fanny-pack-turned-make-up-brush-apron, and did some ritualistic concealer/micro spatula /brush thing that ended with her standing VERY CLOSE to apply the concealer to my 3 big zits. more than Just a little awkward, but my social psych observation skills kicked in and I properly looked into the far distance. She then managed to sell me the concealer, a new brush, and a tube of hemp lotion that includes some ingredient that might dismay mosquitos. So, $30 for not-bug-spray.