Friday, June 11, 2010

Back to work

It's been harder than I remember to get into the summer rhythm, perhaps because of the Nigeria preparations and trip. The long list of summer goals that I wrote up in May - when I was anxious to start tackling new projects -just doesn't interest me. Not much does right now.

So, I decided to care for my future self by putting my spring course to bed: sorting through my notes, handouts, scraps of paper with new ideas articles I thought I might use. I'm throwing out lots of old stuff course that I haven't used in years and re-filing things that belong elsewhere now (actually, they're living on a pile on the desk, to be re-sorted later).

My oldest son (14) came to work with me this morning, and we went through my dissertation literature review files - I haven't touched them in 13 years and they're hogging space. We got rid of 1.5 file drawers of stuff and some 3-ring binders; I also shredded file for faculty members who no longer work here. That felt very good to do - very cleansing, even if not the highest priority on the list.