Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dean's birthday

I've been told for years that I should demonstrate my authority as Dean by moving out of my psych department office into a larger office more removed from faculty. I've always thought that was a generally stupid idea, for a bunch of reasons, and have refused to move (so far, so good).

And today totally paid off. For my birthday, all four of us psych folks all did a "salon" at Pamper Girl's house: foot soak/scrub/moisturizer, a facial, and hand scrub/moisturizer. It was heaven. Then we went to eat at the best local restaurant. Afterward, we discovered that California Girl had locked Golf Guy's car when she got out, just from habit; he, just from habit, had left the keys in the ignition (I love small-town America). Fortunately, her still-moisturized forearm could slip inside the just-open window to unlock the car and set off the shrieking alarm. We did a chinese fire drill at a 4-way stop just to have her practice leaving a car without locking it. She did good.